The challenge is to grow my Instagram account, @imvidu_app from its current follower count of 143 to a whopping 10,000 followers in just three months! Ambitious? Yes! But impossible? No way! After all, I’d like to think I’m somewhat of a decent marketing expert, and I love a good challenge.
Why 10,000 – because it’s a nice round number and something people consider is a decent number of followers. It’s also a starting point that will make other things happen i.e. monetizing the account.
So technically I’m not starting from zero. I know what you’re thinking – “Wait, you already have 143 followers, isn’t that cheating?” Well, technically, yes, but let’s be real, 143 followers isn’t exactly an Instagram sensation. Plus, I’m pretty sure my mum is one of them, so I’m not sure if she counts.
The existing Instagram account
I started the Imvidu Instagram account roughly 2 years back. I posted consistently for the first few weeks and dropped the ball on it… due to priorities I guess. I built up a bit, nothing to brag about, following of nearly 200 followers. Since then, there have been minimal, ad-hoc posting.
In fact, the last post (poorly created) was August 15th, 2022.
Here are some key mistakes and things wrong with the account. Most of them are no-brainers. But in case you can’t see what I’m seeing:
- Lack of consistency in posting: There are long gaps between posts, which can be a turn-off for followers who are looking for regular updates.
- Poor quality of images: The images on the account are not very high quality, and some of them appear to be blurry or pixelated. Talk about unprofessional-ism- this is it.
- Inconsistent branding: There is no consistent branding across the account. The color scheme and overall aesthetic of the account are not cohesive.
- Lack of engagement: The account has very low engagement, with few likes and comments on each post. Dah.
- Limited use of hashtags: The account is not making use of hashtags effectively. Whether they are an important tool for increasing discoverability on Instagram, or not, is a debate. But not using them is probably a mistake.
- The overal profile sucks: There you have it. One way to summarize all the above.
Honestly if I hired someone to create this account, and if this is what it looked like, I would have fired them. Having said that, I can’t fire my self.
But there are a few things I’ve got going at least:
1. I did something
Yeah, I did something at least. Means now that I want to start… I don’t need to start, literally from zero.
2. I’ve used my self in the brand:
Although the account is for imvidu (imvidu.com) and it’s a transcript based video editor that helps create video and social media content easily. But people don’t want to nor care about the platform/solution enough to follow it. People buy from people. Full stop.
I’m growing our Imvidu Instagram from (almost) zero to 10,000 over next three months.
The account was set up 2 years ago, has a negligible number of followers, and here are the other issues with it:
- I don’t post regularly.
- The image quality isn’t very good.
- There’s no consistent branding.
- Engagement is super low.
- I don’t use hashtags effectively.
- The profile sucks!
Let’s take on this challenge and am sooo excited to share my journey with you. Over the next three months, I’ll be sharing my strategies, tips, and tricks to help grow my account and reach that 10,000 follower mark. From creating engaging content to the processes, tools and fundamentals, I’ll be covering it all.
In the next post I’m breaking down exactly what’s wrong with the profile page as that’s the starting point. And what I’m changing.
This will be my Day 1 of growing my Instagram from zero to 10000, and here are the rules as a kick start to this:
- Just start! Once again, it’s a matter of starting rather than coming up with a strategic master plan. Analysis is paralysis
- Be consistent: Once it’s started, keep up the consistency.
2 actionable steps to growing Instagram from 0 to 10,000:
- Fixing the profile page
- Use Imvidu Content Mastery Framework
So, buckle up and get ready for some Instagram growth action! I can’t promise it won’t be a bumpy ride, but I can promise it will be worth it. And who knows, maybe my grandma will even learn a thing or two about social media marketing.
Read the next part: How to Grow Insta – Everything wrong with the current account!